Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The diagnosis was made behind his back

It studies associative mechanisms I owe the invitation to
one of American universities (Clark University, 1909), where he read
a report on its work. At the same time there regardless, I was invited
Freud. Both of us were awarded the degree of doctor honoris causa.
 Thanks to associative and psihoorganicescom experiments I was
known in America, and soon from there to me began to treat patients. One
the first well preserved in my memory.
 One of the American psychiatrists sent me the patient with the diagnosis:
"alcoholic neurasthenia". In  the forecast stated: "incurable". From
precaution my colleague recommended that the patient seek another one
authoritative neurologist in Berlin, fearing, apparently, that neither of my attempts
not lead to anything. The patient came to me for advice. From conversations with him I
I realized that he was suffering from an ordinary neurosis, not having any idea about
psychological assumptions of his illness. Association test showed that
he suffers from a mother complex in a very severe form. Coming from a family
rich and respectable, he was married to a beautiful woman and had no
problems - that's what was on the surface. But something was oppressed, and he
drank too much, desperately trying to stupefy themselves, to forget,
of course, to no avail.
 His mother owned a big company, and he held in it an important
posts. In fact, he has long been able to free themselves from this painful
subordination. But not wanting to leave high office, he remained in
depending on the mother, which was required by the situation. When you stand near it and
being forced to tolerate her interference in his business, he started drinking,
to forget or to hide his irritation.  Deep down he does
did not want to leave the cushy, comfort and
stability. He preferred to maintain this status quo, even against
own internal discomfort.
 After a short course of treatment, the patient stopped drinking and considered himself quite
healthy. But, I warned him: "there is No guarantee that you will not return to
the previous state, if you find yourself in a familiar situation." He didn't believe me,
because it felt good, and went to America.
 But he had re-experience maternal care, things were back to normal
. Now  Switzerland came his mother and came to me for
advice. In this clever woman, I immediately felt some downright
the devil's power. Understood what had to struggle her son, realized that
he has no chance. He was of a delicate Constitution, and even physically could not stand
comparison with the mother. I decided on a violent step mother said that
the alcoholism of her son is directly linked to the post that he occupies, and
recommended to fire him. The mother took my advice son, naturally, was
outside of yourself.
 Such an act normally considered unethical - doctor
needs to afford it. But I knew I had to do this for
the patient.
 How did his life? The parting with his mother allowed him
own personality to unfold fully. He had a distinguished
career - despite, and maybe because of my "treatment". Feeling
thanks his wife for me it is impossible to convey: her husband not only
coped with alcoholism, but have found myself, my own way, and
did it extremely successfully.
 However some time I was tormented by guilt before
man the diagnosis was made behind his back. But I was firmly convinced,
that's the only way - in a violent way - perhaps to help him. And he
really have been cured of neurosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment