Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Sometimes the best intelligence is unable to grasp the hidden meaning

The year 1909 was a turning point for us. I was invited to read a course of lectures
about associative experiments in the Clark University (Worcester, state
MA). Regardless of Freud I also got there invitation.
It was decided to go along. We met in Bremen, where we
joined Ferenczi. There an incident occurred, which then a lot of
said, Freud had fainted. And the reason, it seems, was my interest
to "bog corpses". I was aware that in some areas North
Germany found the so-called "bog bodies" - preserved from
prehistoric human remains, or drowned in the swamp, or were
in it are buried. In bog water contains cyprogenia acid, which
dissolves bones, but vydavlivaem the skin, which, like hair, is superb
saved. In fact it is natural mummification, when bodies
rasprashivaete under the pressure of the peat. From time to time they are found on
peat developments in Denmark, Sweden and Holland.
 These "bog bodies", and remembered me in Bremen. (I was
so absorbed in their own Affairs that has confused them with the mummies of
Bremen "lead basement".) My curiosity irritated Freud. "What do you
found these corpses?" - he constantly asked, being in an extremely
a nervous condition. And somehow at the table when I started talking about corpses
Freud fainted. Later he confessed to me his confidence in the then
that all this talk about bodies was started by me because I like
wanted him dead. I was taken aback. I was frightened by the power of his fantasies, which,
in my opinion, was the cause of his collapse.
 I was  witness another one of his faint in a similar situation. It
happened at the Congress of psychoanalysis in Munich in 1912. Someone remembered
the Pharaoh Amenhotep IV, that of hatred to the father he destroyed the cartouches
on the steles, and that for all its great religious structures stood
daddy complex. I protested and began to argue, proving that Amenhotep
was creative and a deeply religious person, whose actions cannot
be explained only by the personal hostility to the father. On the contrary, he honored the name of his
father, and his passion for destruction was the only target that wasdue
the name of the God Amun. That name he sought to destroy everywhere, and it's not his fault
it was carved on the tombstone of his father, who regarded Amon. More
also, many other pharaohs also replaced the names of their actual or
divine forefathers on monuments and statues by their own, as
considered himself the legitimate personification of the appropriate deity. But they don't
nor were the founders of a new style in architecture, nor the founder of a new
religion.
 At this point, Freud fainted and fell off the chair. All confused
began to fuss around him. I picked him  hand, carried him into the next room and
laid on the sofa. While I carried him, he began to come to, and I never
forget his gaze. Weak and helpless, he looked at me like I
his father. Whatever other causes of syncope (atmosphere
the Congress was more than tense), in both cases his obsession
it was patricide.
 Freud had previously hinted that he sees me as his successor. This is me
extremely embarrassed, I knew never properly
to defend his views, although at the time to refute them in a decent way I
not could. My respect for him was too great to desire final
the separation of our positions. I was not attracted by the prospect of becoming
the head of a certain party to lead the whole direction in psychoanalysis. Soul
my resist similar activity: to sacrifice their intellectual
independence - it was not for me. In addition, all these "games" were off
me from my real purpose - I sought to find the truth and not to achieve
personal prestige.
 Our trip in the US took several weeks. All this time we were
together and told each other their dreams. Some of my dreams
I considered it to be important, but Freud was unable to explain them. To blame him
I dare not - sometimes the best intelligence is unable to grasp the hidden meaning
sleep. Sometimes this is simply impossible, but it does not mean you have to stop
to do it. On the contrary, conversations with Freud gave me very much and I
treasured our relationship. I listened to Freud, heeding the older man and
experienced, I felt for him a FILIAL love. But there was something that
caused our friendship a heavy blow.
 Freud had a dream: he was - I will not tell. I  explained it
as managed, but added that would say a lot more if Freud told me
some of the circumstances of his personal life. Freud gave me
a strange suspicious look and said, "But I can't risk my
the authority!" At this point, his authority collapsed. This phrase was left on the bottom
my memory, it was the end of our relationship. Freud set up a personal
authority above the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment